2.4.18

Robert Owens

Sassy D
Thanks for stopping by The Science of Soul. On this weeks show I have new music from Roosevelt Wade , Sassy D and our Featured Artist is Robert Owens, Robert's EP 360 Degrees is a pretty classy affair though I have to say when I saw "My Girl" on the track list my first thought was "oh no," someone else is gonna destroy the classic ... well let me tell you I was very wrong. Roberts version of the Temptations classic is the highlight of the set for me.  A smooth production and great vocals, to say I was surprised would be an understatement. Roosevelt Wade is one of the nice guys in the music business and his current release "This Bed Ain't Big Enough," is super smooth I think you will enjoy. Lots of nice things for the Old Skool folks to a classic from Stan Mosley and listen out for the TNJ's its a classic slice of Philly soul. Gotta shout out to the good the good folks at Club Edge in New York City for running the show live last Sunday  - thanks for the great feedback. OK it's music time sit back and relax and please tell a friend about the Science of Soul.

Sunday's playlist 01-04-2018
Hour One
Willie Hutch - Soulful Strut
Joe Leavy - Inside You
Family Brown - Never Had A Love
Stan Mosley - Thank You
Roosevelt Wade - This Bed Ain't Big Enough
4U - Sunshine
Robert Owens - My Girl
Robert Owens - Lady My Love
Reality Jones - Don't Count Your Money
Sassy D - Mr Ain't Gonna Do Right
Special Delivery - I Destroyed Your Love
TNJ's - Fallin' In Love



Hour Two
David Oliver - I'll Write You A Love Song
David Oliver - Could It Be Love
Harold Melvin & Bluenotes - Stay Together
Gerald Levert - Didn't We
Chairmen of the Board ft Ken Knox - Words Left Unsaid
Keke Wyatt - If Only You Knew
Robert Owens - You're My Everything
The Supremes - Don't Let My Teardrops Bother You
Eddie Levert - What If
Ledisi ft Jaheim - Stay Together
The Moments - I Don't Wanna Go

Robert Owens biography:-
Born in Ohio in 1961, he grew up singing in the church, but was working as a DJ when he met pioneering Chicago producer Larry Heard in 1985. The pair formed Fingers Inc. with Ron Wilson, and released a few excellent singles ("A Path", "Mystery Of Love", "It's Over") and the 1988 full-length "Another Side" .The group dissolved soon after, though, as Heard's burgeoning solo-production career (as Mr. Fingers) took over.
Owens had already released tracks on his own - "Bring Down the Walls" and "I'm Strong" for Alleviated, with production from Heard - and he signed a solo contract with 4th & Broadway. His 1990 LP "Rhythms in Me" was a solid effort, though it soon disappeared within the quickly disintegrating Chicago house scene. (One of his best-known features of the late '80s, the epic house moment "Tears," appeared under the names of Frankie Knuckles and producer Satoshi Tomiie.)

Owens had basically retired from music by the early '90s, preferring instead to run his own Christian bookstore. By 1996, he'd returned to dance music with "Ordinary People", a two-part EP for Musical Directions. He teamed up with Tomiie and Cevin Fisher for a track from Tomiie's "Full Lick" LP in 1999, and one year later Owens appeared on the Photek smash "Mine to Give".

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-