20.2.17

Al Jarreau (RIP)

Welcome to this weeks Science of Soul, I am sure your aware by now of the sad passing of Jazz music icon Al Jarreau who died on Sunday, February 12th, at the age of 76 years. Though not classed as a Soul artist per say, he was loved for his unique style, and it's only fitting that I pay tribute to him. A few tracks that are amongst my personal favourites are included, I hope that you enjoy.

On the new music front this week I will be dipping into last weeks featured album by Paul Cannon "Love & Heartbreaks" plus we got new track from blues lady Stephanie McDee and it's a very different sound from her so I thought I would share so see what you think. I played the new hit track from K Avett a few weeks back I wanna remind how great that is so included that in this weeks show to. In addition we have our usual mix of old and not so old to balance out the show, so sit back and enjoy.

On a happy note it was great to see Bobby Rush receive a Grammy Award in this years honours list .. long overdue but better late than never.

Playlist for Sunday 19-02-2017
Hour One
Vickie Baker
Vertice Williams - You
Vickie Baker - Southern Girl
Soulutions - Destiny
Stephanie McDee - T G I F
Bottom & Co - Gonna Find A True Love
Unique Blend - Mommy & Daddy
Bobby Hutton - Loving You Needing You Loving You
Soul Brothers Inc. - I Saw Forever My Love
Al Jarreau - Just To Be Loved
Al Jarreau - Were In This Love Together
Al Jarreau - We Got By
Al Jarreau Patti Austin & George Benson - Let It Rain
T L Shider - I'm Feein' You
Pheel Smith - Keep The Front Door Open [Soul Junction]




Hour Two
M V P - I Don't Wanna Stop Loving You
Paul Cannon - Feels So Good
Barbara Stant - He's Still Your Man
K Avett - The Matter ( Why Are We Here)
Johnny Gill ft. Roger - It's Your Body
J Michael Reed - I Just Wanna ( Be Inside You)
H'Atina - A Thang
Philly Devotions - I Just Can't Say Goodbye
Ronnie McNier - I'm Your Lover
Willie Hutch - Anything Is Possible If You Believe In Love
The Temptations - Heavenly
Hewitt - Is It Me

Al Jarreau biography:
Alwin Lopez Jarreau (March 12, 1940 – February 12, 2017), better known by his stage name Al Jarreau, was an American singer and musician. He received a total of seven Grammy Awards and was nominated for over a dozen more. Jarreau is perhaps best known for his 1981 album Breakin' Away. He also sang the theme song of the late-1980s television series Moonlighting, and was among the performers on the 1985 charity song "We Are the World". Jarreau was student council president and Badger Boys State delegate for Lincoln High School. At Boys State, he was elected governor. Jarreau went on to attend Ripon College, where he also sang with a group called the Indigos. He graduated in 1962 with a Bachelor of Science in psychology. Two years later, in 1964, he earned a master's degree in vocational rehabilitation from the University of Iowa. Jarreau also worked as a rehabilitation counselor in San Francisco, and moonlighted with a jazz trio headed by George Duke. In 1967, he joined forces with acoustic guitarist Julio Martinez. The duo became the star attraction at a small Sausalito night club called Gatsby's. This success contributed to Jarreau's decision to make professional singing his life and full-time career. More at Wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE ENTER COMMENT BELOW:-